Best Website Security Services & Software Compared
Find the right website security provider.
Best Web Security Companies Compared
|Pricing||From $199/year||From $30/mo||From $9.99/mo||From $99/license||From $179/year|
|Malware Removal||Unlimited||Per cleanup||Unlimited||Per cleanup||Unlimited|
|Protection from Zero-Day Exploits||Yes||–||Yes||–||Yes|
|Server Side Detection||Yes||Yes||–||–||–|
|Free SSL on Firewall Server||Yes||–||Yes||–||Yes|
|Website Speed & Performance||Yes||Yes||Yes||–||Yes|
|Comparison Pages||Sucuri vs. Sitelock||Sucuri vs. cWatch||Sucuri vs. WordFence||Sucuri vs. OneHourSiteFix|
Sucuri is a cloud-based website security provider that specializes in website malware research and cleanup. Sucuri helps businesses and web professionals protect their websites against website threats, improve performance with caching and CDN, monitor for website hacks, and receive unlimited support for security incidents. Their free Sitecheck Scanner automatically scans and detects hacks and malware on a website. Support is quick and it’s easy to create tickets. The Sucuri Platform will automatically detect when there’s an issue detected and notify you so that you can respond to clean up the problem.
|Unlimited malware removal||Basic plan has slower SLA|
|Free WordPress plugin||Free plugin has limited functionality|
|Firewall plans from $10/month||–|
SiteLock is a website security company that offers cloud-based website protection with monitoring, automated cleanups, protection from attacks, and website performance. Sitelock also helps administer PCI compliance surveys for ecommerce businesses.
|Web Application Firewall Protection||Pay Per Malware Removal|
|DDoS Attack Mitigation||Additional charges may apply for one-time manual cleanups or complicated malware removal|
|Pricing tiers depending on the number of website files cleaned|
Comodo cWatch Web is a Managed Security Service for websites and applications that combines a Web Application Firewall (WAF) provisioned over a Secure Content Delivery Network (CDN). The service includes malware detection scanning, preventive methods, and removal.
|Web Application Firewall Protection||Relies on user doing all work|
|DDoS Attack Mitigation||Intermittent phone support|
|Improved performance with CDN||Uses overseas support|
Wordfence is a WordPress security plugin. It includes an endpoint firewall and malware scanner that protects WordPress websites. Wordfence blocks firewall rules, malware signatures, and malicious IP addresses it needs to keep your website safe. They also offer one-time website malware removal.
|Web Application Firewall Protection||Charges extra fees for one-time cleanups or complicated malware removal|
|Free plugin||Does not offer performance optimization|
|Website integrity support||Can introduce laterncy when filtering malicious traffic|
Why is Website Security Important?
A website security service protects your brand reputation and customers from being exploited. Small blogs and business websites are no exception; hackers will exploit any opportunity to steal traffic, data, and server resources.
Taking steps to monitor and defend your website is much easier than dealing with a hacked website. It’s also wise to have an emergency response plan in place before a data breach or compromise happens.
We encourage you to research your options and use this guide to choose the best website security solution for you.
What Does Website Security Software Protect Against?
Website security monitoring software protects your visitors and business from data breaches, attacks, and malware infections. Hackers will abuse compromised websites by injecting SEO spam, drive-by-downloads, defacements, and malicious redirects. Keep visitors and web content secure by preventing vulnerability exploitation, brute-force (password guessing), and DDoS attacks. In our 2018 Hacked Website Report, we identify some of the most common types of malware and the blocklist authorities that block visitors from visiting compromised websites.
Website Security Solutions
There are a wide range of web security solutions that can help you mitigate risk to your website and prevent a hack.
Some effective website security solutions include:
- Website Application Firewalls
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- Intrusion Detection Systems
The Sucuri Website Application Firewall (WAF) and Intrusion Detection System (IDS) is bundled into the Sucuri Platform. These solutions protect your website from an attack, and if a compromise is detected will notify you immediately. These solutions can be used on any type of platform, including Magento, WordPress, vBulletin, ASP.NET, Joomla, or even custom websites. Quick set-up within minutes ensures that you’ll quickly have your website detecting, filtering and blocking attacks.
By blocking malicious traffic from visiting your site, you’ll be protected against attacks like Cross Site Scripting (XSS), Remote File Inclusions (RFI), Malicious Post Requests, SQL Injections (SQLi), Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) and other malicious attacks.
Web Security Features & Tools Every Website Should Have
Every website security service provider has different features and pricing. Some include web protection and website security monitoring, while others charge fees for malware removal. Here are the features and tools to look for in a website security provider.
1. Detect Security Issues
If your website has been hacked, you want to be the first to know. An intrusion detection platform (IDS) will continuously monitor your site looking for indicators of compromise (IoC). This includes malicious changes to your website content, files, and database. A good website security scanner will alert you when your site is blocklisted by search engines or suffering downtime and can detect changes to your DNS or SSL records.
2. Prevent a Future Hack
A website firewall keeps your site protected against brute force attacks, data breaches, and attempts to inject content into your web server. A complete website security system will offer a firewall that virtually patches security holes and hardens server settings. By detecting and blocking known hacking methods and behaviors, you can preserve your website integrity and avoid a security incident.
3. Incident Response
If your website has been taken down or hacked with harmful content, it helps to have an incident response team on hand. With professional security analysts and malware removal tools, a hacked site can be recovered with minimal disruption. A reliable website security team also gives you peace of mind when you have security questions or concerns about your website.
4. Disaster Recovery
In order to ensure the availability of your website, it’s critical to have a backup plan. Even if your website is secure, a misconfiguration or mistake can lead to data loss. Only a backup can save you if your custom files are overwritten or tampered with. A website security provider can offer secure remote storage, automatic backup scheduling, and an easy recovery process.
5. Performance Optimization
It’s important to consider how a website security system might impact performance. Fortunately, plenty of website firewalls include a content delivery network (CDN) that stores copies of your website in multiple locations for faster global access. This speeds up your website and keeps visitors happy while reducing the load on your web server.
Choosing a Website Security Provider
- Level of Support. Ask about the response time you can expect from your website security provider in the event of an emergency. You should consider whether you will require customization, setup, or troubleshooting. Read reviews or see a preview of the customer experience.
- Logging and Reporting. Investigation of a security incident is easier with access to detailed logs and audit trails. Talk with website security vendors about out what is possible, how reports are accessed, and whether the platform integrates with your SIEM system or security operations team.
- Compatibility and Deployment. Make sure that any website security provider you choose is compatible with your CMS and server software. This also includes concerns about server resources and bandwidth allocation. Ideally, you should understand what you are getting into when it comes to deployment and activation.
- Customization Requirements. If your website requires custom rule sets, load balancing, or high availability, discuss this with your website security provider. You may also want to ask about uptime guarantees, allowlisting and blocklisting, and any advanced security settings.
- Total Cost. Price is always a factor. There may be hidden costs and unexpected fees, not to mention upgrades and upsells. This is especially true when it comes to malware removal services. Make sure your plan covers what you need for support, features, and bandwidth.
- Attack Protection. A website security system should include methods to detect and prevent attacks, including signature and behavior analysis. You may want to ask website security providers about the false positive/negative rate, how often it blocks zero-day vulnerabilities, bandwidth limitations, and the number of global points of presence (PoP).
- SSL Support and Monitoring. If you have SSL/HTTPS on your website already, make sure the website firewall will support your existing certificate. HTTPS is automatically enabled on the Sucuri firewall servers for users who do not have a certificate. A good monitoring system will also be able to tell you if your SSL records change.
- Monitoring and Detection. A good website monitoring system will include continual supervision of your website activity logs, and content changes. Explore the alerting and reporting options of potential vendors. Ask whether they provide remote and server-side scanners and if they can monitor changes to DNS records, core files, and SSL certificates.
- Industry Research. To stay ahead of emerging cybersecurity threats takes constant work. Malware analysis and vulnerability research should be important to any website security provider. It’s also good to know whether the company specializes in your website software or CMS.
- Page Speed. When activating a website firewall, most providers will offer a CDN, caching, and compression that can be fine-tuned to suit your website’s needs. These performance options allow visitors to access a cached version of your website stored in different locations so your website is faster and more secure.
Why Choose Sucuri?
What makes Sucuri the best website security for businesses and developers?
Our website security service protects your site from vulnerable code, poor access controls, and server resource exploitation to ensure that it stays online and safe for site visitors.
Thought Leaders in Website Security
Sucuri Labs offers unique insights that together with our Sucuri Blog help millions of website owners protect their property. This has earned us press and media mentions from top news outlets, industry blogs, and cybersecurity journalists.
A Safe Internet is Our Mission
The Sucuri SiteCheck Scanner automatically scans for hacks and malware. Our guides provide additional help to prevent or fix website hacks on your own. Read how our customers have used us through the years, which has given us over 70 customer studies.
Our solutions address today’s security incidents and tomorrow’s threats.
What is the best security for a website?
Websites that leverage a web application firewall and intrusion detection systems are best positioned to secure against malware, DDoS attacks, and hackers. These website security solutions can help detect and mitigate malware against your website, ensuring that your traffic and visitors are protected from malicious threats and hackers. A DDoS attack or malware on your website can significantly impact or reduce the ecommerce revenue you generate from your website. You may even end up having issues with PCI compliance if sensitive user information or credit card details are stolen or compromised.
Custom Solutions & Partnerships
Website security for large organizations, web professionals, and partners.
Get in touch to find your own custom solution.